FACTS AND FIGURES
National Diabetes Fact Sheet 2011 (Latest Data Available)
Heart Disease and Stroke
According to the Damon Runyan Cancer Research Foundation, 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will get cancer in their lifetime. According to them this means that, on average, 40% of your family and friends will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetimes.
Childhood Accidents and Injuries
According to the most recent studies from the Center for Disease Contol's Childhood Injury Report (most recent data are for 2006):
- An estimated 9.2 million children annually had an initial emergency department visit for an unintentional injury.
- Males generally had higher non-fatal injury rates than females.
- For children 1 to 19 years of age, non-fatal injury rates were higher among males than females, while the rates were approximately the same for those less than 1 year old.
- Injuries due to falls were the leading cause of non-fatal injury.
- Each year, approximately 2.8 million children had an initial emergency department visit for injuries from a fall. For children less than 1 year of age, falls accounted for over 50% of non-fatal injuries.
- Causes by age group:
- Falls was the leading cause of non-fatal injury for all age groups less than 15.
- For children ages 0 to 9, the next two leading causes were being struck by or against an object and animal bites or insect stings.
- For children 10 to 14 years of age, the next leading causes were being struck by or against an object and over-exertion.
- For children 15 to 19 years of age, the three leading causes of non-fatal injuries were being struck by or against an object, falls, and motor vehicle occupant injuries.
- Non-fatal injury rates varied by age group:
- Non-fatal suffocation rates were highest for those less than 1 year of age.
- Rates for injuries from fires or burns and drowning were highest for children 4 years and younger.
- Children 1 to 4 years of age had the highest rates of non-fatal falls and poisoning.
- Injury rates related to motor vehicles was highest in children 15 to 19 years of age.
Statistics for Older Adult Falls